Friday, December 19, 2014

Shifting Gears

As I've been going through the material that I've written for the Kongokai and drafting up more, I've come to recognize the warning signs; I'm burning out on iOS. It's become a chore instead of a joy. I'm not writing because I want to espouse the ideas that I'm forming, I'm writing out of obligation to a readership.

One of the luxuries that I have with Juraku is that I can put things on hold until they're ready. I don't want to deliver anything short of the best that I can, and right now I'm headed down a road that I don't want to go--low quality, minimal effort, churning the updates out instead of analytically composing them with an eye towards the big picture. That's not the kind of ship I'm running. Nothing is allowed to be rushed here. It goes to publish when it's ready.

And right now Shin Megami Tensei isn't ready. I can't write it in my current mindset and have confidence in the work that I'm putting out. I look at the short stack of reference materials I have and dread leafing through them again for page numbers. The convenient thing about my LPs is that the documentation is heavy enough that I could practically go back and start up my ill-fated Gale of Darkness LP again if I really wanted to. I've referred to Juraku as my getaway villa, and I'm acknowledging that SMT has to be on hold while I burn this out of my system. It's sad that I can't get to it yet, but we're better off this way.

So I'll be temporarily shifting gears for a bit. It will be the same type of discourse, but on a topic I can maintain more enthusiasm for right now. Don't worry, Belshazzar's Feast is still gonna be up there in the background, I'm not dropping anything. But with winter break here, for now I want to talk about a franchise that has gradually become Megaten's boogeyman, a series of games that face demonization by its fanbase significant enough that by now you really ought to be able to summon it out of a COMP.

I'm doing a series on first gen Pokémon.

No comments:

Post a Comment